Licensing for Child Care Workers

Application Process

The Office of the City Clerk licenses all child care workers operating within city limits. In order to gain and maintain a child care license in good standing, a child care provider must complete the following:

BEFORE applying for/renewing Child Care Worker License

  • Undergo a Central Registry Check (See below. This must be completed before submitting application)
  • Complete CPR, First Aid/AED training 
  • If renewing your license, complete annual approved training in child development, childhood education, child psychology, business management, safety or health

SUBMIT application at Boise City Hall

  • Submit a Child Care Worker Application (PDF Version or Apply Online) and pay fee. (Application processing and background check usually takes 5-10 days)
  • Complete background check (Fingerprinting is done at City Hall) 

Central Registry

New federal and state regulations require a Central Registry check for everyone applying for, or renewing, a child care facility and/or worker license. Applicants must submit a completed form from each state they have lived within the past 5 years. The City of Boise is aligned with these regulations and now requires all applicants to provide proof of a Central Registry check. This requirement also includes all residents over the age of 18 living in the home of an in-home daycare.

NEW! Applicant's Responsibility

  • It is now the applicant's responsibility to provide written documentation from all states, including Idaho, they have lived in within the past 5 years.
  • Each state has their own laws and requirements, including fees for registry checks. See the Central Registry Master List for information for each state.
  • Applicants must have the result of the Central Registry check prior to applying for their city license.

Idaho's Central Registry Check
The Idaho State Department of Health and Welfare conducts Idaho's Child Protection Central Registry checkPlease access their website for instructions and forms. A Boise specific sample can be found here

Forms must be filled out completely, notarized, and mailed with payment to:

Idaho Department of Health & Welfare
Criminal History Unit
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83707-9815

What Is a Central Registry?
Each state has a centralized database of child abuse and neglect investigation records known as a Central Registry. While each state maintains their own Central Registry, the data within them is often used to aid social service agencies in the investigation, treatment and prevention of child abuse cases. In Idaho, the Child Protection Central Registry is mandated by the Child Protection Law and includes information on all persons who have been cited by Child Protection Services of Idaho for child abuse, abandonment or neglect. View Central Registry Master List

Resource Services

  • City Licensing: Phone: (208) 972-8150 | Fax: (208) 384-3711
  • Central District Health: (208) 327-7499
  • Child Protection Reporting - Treasure Valley : (208)334-KIDS (5437)
  • Child Protection Reporting - Statewide: 1-855-552-5437
  • Idaho Stars 
  • Idaho Care Line/State Licensing/Complaints: 211 or 1-800-926-2588
  • Library Youth Services: (208) 384-4200